Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ehhh...I got nothin.

Nothing to see here; move along.

Still obsessed with the election? Check.
Watching the Emmys? But of course.
Still locked into increasingly anti-social behaviors? Umm...I did get out to see some people last night, so, perhaps that's getting better. But not much interaction planned in the foreseeable future.
Still struggling with the diet and in limiting my alcohol consumption appropriate to this task, but doing awesome on the exercising? Yeppers.
Still have far too many domesticated animals in this 1,800 square foot house? You betcha.

Fine. FINE. I'll do the damn food meme too.

1. How do you like your eggs?
Any way at all, except maybe soft-boiled. Poached or fried, over easy, with a hot, runny yolk, and no clear white. Scrambled in omelettes, breakfast tacos, stratas (stratae?), quiches, etc. I loves me some eggs. I have them (or, more frequently, their soulless substitute, Egg Beaters,) every single day. It's not just the kids who dig "Breakfast for Dinner" nights at our house, which would probably be the most shameful night in the month for most mothers worth their salt.

And, speaking of salt, it tastes good on eggs.

2. How do you take your coffee/tea?
Coffee, preferably, though I like a cup of hot tea in the afternoons, and some sleepy sort of tea at night. It used to be black, but recently I've been putting a splash of skim milk in. Half-and-half is awesome, but that's only for non-dieting days, of which there are few. I usually only get that for company...but gleefully drink up the leftovers after they're gone.

3. Favorite breakfast food:
Seriously? Would you ask me to choose my favorite child?

OK, um...let's see. Eggs. Next runners up: bacon, breakfast tacos, hot, homemade buttermilk biscuits with butter, really outstandingly crisp fried potato products (possibly with cheese and cream and porcini mushrooms in some combination,) cinnamon rolls (but only really really good ones, and only in combination with some sort of protein). Sometimes that white-trashy casserole with the eggs and the sausage and the cheese and the crescent rolls. Sometimes cold pizza, but not so much since college.

4. Peanut butter:
Ooooh, yes. Lots and lots of it. I'm finally an all-natural gal on the P.B.. Creamy or chunky; it does not matter. What matters is that there always must be at least two jars at my house, one in the cabinet (for The Man,) and one in the fridge (for the rest of us, who prefer our peanut butter be cold, and not separatey).

5. What kind of dressing on your salad?
Whatever's diet, and in my fridge. I think it's South Beach Ranch right now. Oh, there's lots of them that I really like - anything in the creamy caesar/parmesan/peppercorn family, or Sesame Garlic Sass, or Girard's Champagne. However, I don't buy them anymore...I just buy whatever has the least calories. Sigh.

6. Coke or Pepsi?
Coke. But it's a reasonably rare occurrence (less than monthly, and usually involving a hangover or the stomach flu) so when I have one, it is a REAL Coke, and not a Diet Coke.

7. You're feeling lazy. What do you make?
Soft tacos with leftover chicken, ground turkey, or hamburger, along with black beans, shredded cheese, and vegetables, and leftover rice, if we have any. (maybe frozen or canned corn, if that's all we have).

8. You're feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order?
Cheese for the kiddos. If it's a standard pizza place, then some kind of combo with pepperoni and green olives playing a starring role. If it's a more gourmet-y type of place, then something with goat cheese or gorgonzola and chicken and rosemary often makes an appearance. If it's Mangia, then spinach stuffed. Always.

9. You feel like cooking. What do you make?
Standard dieting mode? Pan-seared, good-quality fish, with steamed or briefly roasted fresh vegetables, and a (small) bit of good crusty bread.

When I'm not in diet mode, I make an outstanding pan of green chile/sour cream enchiladas. Also, I make good chili (diet-turkey style and normal,) veggie lasagna, eggplant parmesan, and mole sauce. I don't bake a lot of things that require finesse, but I'm pretty good with cookies, biscuits, and brownies/cakes/pies...though I just cannot do a pie crust like my mother and grandmother did.

10. Do any foods bring back good memories?
Golly, yes. Thanksgiving foods, of course; crouton stuffing and cranberry sauce and the mashed potatoes that they eventually left to me to make, because I always insisted on the real deal and not powdered. Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup made with milk make me think of sick days and snow days. The cinnamon nut rolls at The Kolache Shoppe on Burnet taste just like my grandmother's pecan rolls. I eat one, and I'm suddenly a nine-year-old at Christmas.

11. Do any foods bring back bad memories?
Can't think of any foods, only many, many, types of alcohol.

12. Do any foods remind you of someone?
Oh, yeah, every day. I think there is a food I associate with almost everyone I know. Is that weird?

13. Is there a food you refuse to eat?
Circus peanuts, candy corn. Anything in the spongy orange candy spectrum, actually. I'll take a bite of flan whenever someone has it, to see if I finally like it...but I will always hate it. Whiskey, scotch, bourbon, etc.

14. What was your favorite food as a child?
Crab legs at Red Lobster. Canadian Bacon pizza. Sweet-n-sour pork.

15. Is there a food that you hated as a child but now like?
Macaroni and cheese, hot sauce/salsas.

16. Is there a food that you liked as a child but now hate?
Any Hostess product. Sugary cereals with faux marshmallows. (But I will now and always love Captain Crunch).

17. Favorite fruit and vegetable:
Fruit: Raspberries.
Vegetable: Hmmm. Right now, it's brussels sprouts. It changes with the season, though.

18. Favorite junk food:
Fried potatoes in any form. Jalapeno cream cheese poppers. Hot wings, BYFO are best.

19. Favorite between meal snack:
Progreso Light Soup or a small can of tuna, sadly. Really, though, it's good bread with some peanut butter on it.

20. Do you have any weird food habits?
Not that I consider weird, of course. As stated, The Man think it is odd that I refrigerate my peanut butter. And, also, that I like a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie. (It's a midwest thing. Maybe just a Missouri thing, I don't know.)

21. You're on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on?
Diet soup with cabbage, steamed vegetables, sliced turkey breast, tuna

22. You're off your diet. Now what would you like?
Wine, chocolate, more sourdough bed...and can you pass the peanut butter, more bacon, and some triple-cream brie, please? (And yes, you may then have your way with me.)

23. How spicy do you order Indian/Thai?
Medium. I think I want it super-spicy, until I actually get it that way, when I remember that I'm much more braggy than my actual palate can handle.

24. Can I get you a drink?
I shouldn't. But O.K.

25. Red or White Wine?
Depends entirely on how hot it is outside. It's been nice to drink reds this past week. (O'course, though, it's been punishing for the past two days.)

26. Favorite dessert?
Dark chocolate dense truffly creamy cake-shaped somethings.

27. The perfect nightcap?
Like I said, some sort of sleepy tea. I like Get Some Zzzzs.

In fact, sounds good.
----------------------------
Hey, Mad Men won Best Drama! Christina Hendricks was about to come right out of that dress.

Looove her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your questioner will make my prefrences food very much clear to me also.