Saturday, April 07, 2007

It's too cold to post anything original!

Yes, you heard that right. Last weekend, 85 degrees and sunburns. This week, thirty-fucking-five degrees and SLEET.

Do that math.

Jeeminy.

So, you get a meme, stolen from just about every damn person I know and/or read.

10 FAVORITES
Favorite Color: Black for shoes and clothes, red otherwise
Favorite Food: Cheese
Favorite Month: June
Favorite Song: What day is it? I don't think I can pick one. But, "Ever Fallen In Love," by the Buzzcocks, springs to mind, so there you go.
Favorite Movie: Again, do you ask me to pick my children? OK, first thing that pops to mind is "Young Frankenstein." (Ooh, but there's "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," too. Crap.
Favorite Sport: College football
Favorite Season: Summer
Favorite Day of the week: Thursday
Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Coconut with real, dark, yummy chocolate chips and almonds
Favorite Time of Day: 10:00 PM

9 CURRENTS
Current Mood: Slightly tipsy
Current Taste: a Spanish Rioja
Current Clothes: Eddie Bauer jeans (my mother's comment tonight: "Are you wearing bell-bottoms?") and a brown long-sleeved knit top that I had thought was put away for the season
Current Desktop: a 60's Shag-esque swirly dot motif in purple, blue, and teal
Current Toenail Color: nekkid
Current Time: 10:05 P.M.
Current Surroundings: Living Room! 'Cause I'm working on my LAPTOP!
Current Thoughts: "Oh, yay, there's a murderer loose near my neighborhood. Go lock the doors, honey!"

8 FIRSTS
First Best Friend: Jimmy Black; second grade.
First Kiss: Jimmy Black; second grade. (And don't let on like it wasn't the most memorable fucking thing in your life, JB.)
First Screen Name: Mags
First Pet: A Manx cat named Maxine. Due to my young age, shortly afterwards she "became" my mother's, and I was claimed by her son, Tynwald. Best. Cat. Ever.
First Piercing: Ears. 15 years old, in Ocean City, Maryland, with my friend Debbie Davis. (My mother wouldn't ever let me do it, so I did it on my first vacation away from her, ever. Because I'm sneaky like that.)
First Crush: Jimmy Black, second grade.
First CD: Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell. (Oh, youngun, you mean my first ALBUM? Because that, child, was Shaun Cassidy's eponymous debut.)

7 LASTS
Last Cigarette: The SXSW party a few weeks ago. Prior to that was...well, whenever I saw Karla last.
Last Car Ride: Hair salon, Bark-n-Purr (What? You want $26 for that case of effing CAT FOOD? Oh...so it WON'T poison my cats, you say? Sigh. Erm...OK. Fuck.), La Casita for awesome tacos, and then H.E.B. for milk and T.P. and such.
Last Kiss: OG, who was very sweet this evening, after a bit of a trying start this morning.
Last Movie Seen: In the theater - "The Queen," at home, "Strangers With Candy."
Last Phone Call: my sister
Last CD Played: Fountains of Wayne. But I have the decency to be embarrassed about it.

6 HAVE YOU EVERS
Have You Ever Dated One Of Your Best Guy Friends: Define "dated."
Have You Ever Broken the Law: Yes, but I was very nervous about it. Every time.
Have You Ever Been Arrested: Yes, twice, both at age 16. Once for driving with alcohol in my car (it wasn't mine, and I didn't drink any of it,) and once for careless and imprudent driving.
Have You Ever Skinny Dipped: Yes. Grew up on a lake, y'see.
Have You Ever Been on TV: Yes, age 11, when I was interviewed for the local TV station for playing Queen Gertrude in Hamlet in the 6th grade. Since then, it's been incidental; "Hey, look, there's me (at Austin City Limits, at that peace march, at some concert at Auditorium Shores.)
Have You Ever Kissed Someone You Didn’t Know: Erm, yes, isn't that what my parents financed college for?

5 THINGS
Thing You’re Wearing: As I stated, boring brown knit top, probably from Ross. It's warm, though.
Thing You’ve Done Today: HEB shopped. And why? Because they have cascarones!
Thing You Can Hear Right Now: KXAN news at 10; fixin' to be SNL, which I will probably turn off after the first skit or two. Because it sucks so hard.
Thing You Can’t Live Without: The Man. Is he a thing? How about a vibrator? Same diff.
Thing You Do When You’re Bored: Web surf.

4 PLACES YOU'VE BEEN TODAY
1. My yard, several times, with the puppy, in the sleet.
2. H.E.B.
3. La Casita
4. Bark-N-PUrr

3 PEOPLE YOU CAN TELL ANYTHING TO
1. The Man
2. Anita
3. Connie

(There are more...Erin, Tricia, Christie, Mick...but it said three.)

2 CHOICES
1. Black or White: Black
2. Hot or Cold: Hot

1 THING YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE
Fuck. Both Bookhart and Karla said "Live in London for a year." But I DO WANT TO LIVE IN LONDON! OK, I'll go with "Visit the South Seas."

-------------------------------
Updates...Kerry's in chemo, and sounding positive in her e-mails, though she's apparently being tortured with the Hodgkins/Non-Hodgkins debate. Hang in there, K. Good thoughts abound. And, Dave and Shannon had their baby...I heard he was nine pounds, ten ounces, or something like that? Congrats, Dave, and you owe her BIG TIME.

OG is in OT, officially. The OT wants me to go consult with some crazy-ass alternative medicine practitioners who deal with disorders like she has (e.g. executive function stuff like ADHD, Tourette's, OCD, and Asperger's/high-functioning autism,) and who are IN NO WAY covered by my insurance.

I just don't know where to go with all this. We're talking testing for "food sensitivities" "heavy metal exposure" (e.g. via thimerosol in the vaccines,) and other theories that are not endorsed by most western doctors. And, I just don't know what to do about it. Western medicine has produced only middling results. Medication works - except when it often doesn't - and cognitive behavioral therapy works - except when I'm tired and forget to practice it. I do have an open mind to alternative medicine, but I do not have a bottomless pocketbook with which I can trifle with quackery, you know?

Damn, though, if I could "cure" her by just cutting, say, milk or wheat out of her diet...that is tempting. I'm just the sucka they want to talk to, I'm sure.

-------------------------
Gosh, listen to me go on and on. And you? How are you today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am honored to be in your top 3 tell anything to list. Since we live states apart, I unfortunately can't be there with you for the "probably not a good idea, but will make a helluva story" experiences, I appreciate the phone and the yearly --sigh--weekend visits we squeeze in. Just yesterday I was pondering all the fun we've shared that will forever prevent me from running for public office ;-)

My exciting day consisted of a formal bra fitting at Nordstrom, compliments of my mother in law -which I highly recommend. If you think you know what size you are, you might be surprised. The undergarments are more expensive than what I typically shell out on my own, but it's amazing what a difference a nice garment in the right size can do... However, I don't recommend bringing the children. A four year old boy in the slinky lingerie section...well, he got an eyeful and hasn't stopped smiling about it. The attention span of a 20 month girl needs no explanation.

After a palatable salad at Applebees--sigh--we got the kiddos home, colored easter eggs, scrubbed dye off hands, feet, legs, faces, etc. and finally rustled them to bed. Only to realize at 9:30pm that the Easter Bunny needed to go to Target tonight. Finally, baskets are assembled and eggs are hidden. However, the effects of sampling peanut butter eggs, Starburst jelly beans and Cadbury eggs have me wired, iritated with SNL re-runs and typing like a crazy mom with insomnia and a few quiet minutes.

What's making me smile is the thought of the massage and aromatherapy scalp treatment I'm getting at 10am tomorrow.

Happy Easter indeed!
Anita