Saturday, February 17, 2007

The C-Word

One of our old friends, Kerry - indeed, Lee's first friend from childhood, and later his first girlfriend - has had a large growth taken out of her chest this week. They don't know what it is, but are leaning towards Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

The good news is that they caught it early. But, jesus. This makes friend number three that's battled some sort of the C-word within the past few years. (Both of the other two - Karla May and Ms. Noxious - made it through with flying colors, so my friend track record is perfect so far, and I intend to keep it that way.)

As previously mentioned several times, I'm a weaselly agnostic. However, I am frequently reminded of one of my mother's favorite quotes, from Anne LaMott; that the only prayers she knows are "Please, please, please," and "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you."

That's about right. No matter who's listening, I still end up saying them. So, once again, please please please.

3 comments:

Karla May said...

My dear, you must connect with Jaye. She just battled the same non-hodgkins crap this past year, and is like Yoda and shit.

Seriously.

Click on http://jayejoseph.blogspot.com/ to learn about her in general, and then on her link to her cancer blog "Killing the Freeloader" to learn more for yourself or your friend.

Cancer sucks, and we don't let things that suck into our circle.

Karla said...

The cancer thing is really starting to scare me.

Karla May, Jaye, my friend Julia (you know her, she had melanoma but got it all excised, but has to watch for like, forever), two friends here in Norway....

Now Kerry. Damn.

Anonymous said...

Kerry seems to be taking it all rather well. According to Kerry, she thinks Lee and I are taking the news the hardest. Hell, we grew up with her. She has been a major part of our lives and we plan to keep it that way!

I'm still waiting for it to all hit Kerry. Mags, if you don't send the links to Kerry, I will.