Saturday, November 04, 2006

Happy Diwali!

I just got back from my first Diwali party, hosted by dear friend/co-worker at her house.

She fed us an enormous meal, from appetizers (puff pastry around potatoes; like samosas but smaller and not as crispy, and these little, fried dough balls with spicy peas in the middle and a tamarind sauce) to a huge main course (a paneer dish, dal, and curried cauliflower and potatoes, with rice, naan, and puris) and then kheer and a carrot cheesecake for dessert. Heaven.

However, not only did she feed us, she gave us all saris! I am currently bedecked in an orange tunic with hand-sewed floral and mirrored accents. (I'd post a picture, but something is apparently wrong with my camera, as it keeps making me look tired, drunk, and fat.) They are so comfortable! If I wore these all the time, I'd never worry at all about what I ate, because nothing would ever be tight. I've been living the wrong life, it seems. (I'm not sure I'm cut out for the bindi, though. All night long I kept thinking I had a zit or a big scab on my forehead.)

But, damn it, the WHOLE NIGHT, that song from The Office was playing in my head (to the tune of the Adam Sandler "Hanukkah" song, for those poor souls that missed it:)

Diwali
A festival of lights
Let me tell you something
Tonight has been
One cra-a-a-zy night
So put on your saris
It's time to celebrate Diwali
Everybody looks so jolly
But it's not Christmas, it's Diwali
The goddess of destruction Kali
Stopped by to celebrate Diwali
Don't invite any zombies to a celebration of Diwali
Along came Polly
To have some fun at Diwali
If you're Indian and you love to party
Have a happy, happy, happy, happy Diwali
Happy Diwali!
Damn you, Steve Carell.

1 comment:

Badger said...

Okay, she gave you a sari but you wore a cheerleader outfit TO the party, right? Right? Please say yes.